It is the island of charming atmosphere, excellent food, rich vegetation (230 species of medicinal plants), fresh air, beautiful bays and completely clear sea. The western coast of Losinj archipelago, is a natural habitat of dolphins. In this area there are about 120 protected dolphins. Perfect place to relax for few days while on Croatia van trip.
How to get to Losinj on your Croatia van trip
While on Croatia van trip, to arrive at Losinj you should first go to the island Cres These two islands are connected by bridge. Because of this, it is a good idea to visit Cres and Losinj in one route. To get to Cres you will have to travel by ferry.
You can travel either via Krk (Krk bridge – Ferry Terminal Valbiska Krk – Ferry Terminal Merag Cres) or via Istria (Ferry Terminal Brestova Istra – Ferry Terminal Porozina Cres). Check here timetible and prices for ferries. Only one ferry ride can lead you to exploration of two beautiful islands.
Note that our van is in category for regular van, not for campervan so ferry ticket is much cheaper.
Campervan rental in Croatia is a perfect opportunity to experience our beautiful country with over a thousand islands at your own pace. We highly recommend including Losinj in your route. Contact us about your preferences and we will make a perfect Croatia van trip route for you! More tours you can find here.
To get an idea how beautiful Losinj is, read the rest of the article.
What to do on Losinj island
- Visit theme viewpoint Providenca – You won’t find more beautiful viewpoint bar anywhere in the world, trust us!! There is also 300 m long educational trail about islands that can be seen from the very viewpoint. Experience amazing view and sunset here while enjoying local specialties (meat or fish). During high season, it is necessary to make a reservation.
- Try delicious food – Losinj cuisine is brimming with flavors and aromas of the Mediterranean. Main delicacies of the island are scampi, fish and lamb. Scampi and lamb we tried on Losinj are definitely the best we tried anywhere in the world! For fresh and homemade food, we recommend family restaurant Artatore „Janja“.
- Hiking on Osorčica – Osorščica is the most appealing mountain on Croatian islands. On sunny mornings, from the edge of Osoršćica, you can clearly see southern part of the island, whole Velebit and a lot of nearby islands. The main mountain trails to Osoršćica start at Osor and Nerezine. The path is steep but the view on the top is more than rewarding.
- Visit Losinj aromatic garden – With over 250 plants, this garden smells really good and contains herbs with medicinal properties. Because of many herbs, pine trees and sea, Losinj is often called Island of vitality.
- Enjoy cristal clear sea – Losinj is full of beautiful bays surrounded with pine trees. Some of beaches we recommend are Zabodarski, Čikat, Borik, Liska Slatina,.. Find the best for yourself and enjoy swimming, relaxing, sun bathing and cricket music.
- Wander around small towns and villages – explore cultural and historical background of Osor, Nerezine, Veli Losinj and Mali Losinj which is the main center and the largest town on all the islands in Croatia.
It is fascinating to note that in the past Veli Losinj (“large town”) was greater than Mali Losinj (“little town”). Throughout history Mali Losinj grew more quickly and today the circumstance is turned around. The names, however, have remained.
- In Losinj there are smaller and bigger shops where you can find everything you need for your vacation. Losinj has few gas stations, pharmacies, ambulance,…
- There are many campsites, bigger or smaller, cheaper or more expensive, so it is up to your preferences. We stayed in Camping Lopari which is less expensive one and we really enjoyed it! List of campsites with more information please find here
Losinj is the island of moderate Mediterranean climate and unique mix of medicinal plant, clean air and sea. Perfect place to relax for few days while on Croatia van trip. We think you agree! 🙂